Sunday, June 8, 2014

A 90-day Mission as an Individual Volunteer for the United Methodist Church.


Well, it's just about to begin. On 11 June I will leave Montana at 6 AM to begin my three-month experience as a United Methodist Individual Volunteer in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil.

Today I was commissioned at church with a very special ceremony. Our Pastor, Marianne Niesen, wrote it especially for me and I thought it was wonderful.  With any luck, I'll get a copy and post it here eventually.

I have already started to pack bags, and with that have already started to worry about leaving some critical thing behind. I mean, yikes, how can I know what I'm going to need for Three months in the Amazon?!?!?





Don't entirely know what to expect.  I am looking for a thoroughly spiritual experience, and I don't even know what that means. I imagine that I will spend a a lot of time at Augusto's church. Every time I've been there before it has been a terrific experience.  Dare I say it? God feels closer, more real, and more accessible perhaps.  I'm looking for a big dose of that, a very big dose.  And I expect to achieve even more closeness through endless, selfless service.  I truly intend to dedicate myself to helping and serving and working every day.  I want to provide continual access to medical care, teach English, and learn, learn, learn.  I have an intense curiosity about what is actually going to happen!  I really believe that "if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!"

Still debating whether or not I should bring my water color painting supplies.  I've never really felt comfortable painting in public, but maybe I'll get used to it.  Maybe I won't have the time for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment